Believe It's Best to Share Parts of My Path Before Trying to Give Advice to Others

Adolescents
It actually all started when I was about 10. I'll make this part short. The general picture of that time was tearing things apart to figure out how they worked (TVs, microwaves, various electronics, etc) and taking more or less of whatever medications/supplements I could get a hold of to observe the results. Not the best strategy and didn't take long for my watchers to decide to lock everything up.

Teen Years
As a teen I started adapting my theories, while extremely ineffectively. Used the money I had saved up (grew up what I would consider lower-middle class, but I had a small allowance) to buy a jar of soy protein (which I have found to be terrible, but we'll get into that later), a set of free weights, and a book on meditation and karate. Kept on this for a couple years while eating whatever the money holders kept around. Ramen noodles, white bread toast, margarine, hot dogs. I survived so I'm grateful to them for that.

College Years
After I slowed down a little and stopped eating out of vending machine while sleeping 4-5 hours a night I attempted to really try to get deep into being "healthy". Refer to this phase as "Main Stream" health. Whole grain bread and pasta, multi-vitamin, ham sandwiches, PB&J, beans, fruit juice, whey protein, cheap coffee, sometimes microwave dins. I actually got into pretty good shape from this. Started fairly thoroughly documenting my experiments and thought processes. Also, I got to where I could bench press max 200lb and curl 30lb dumbbells. The problem was the main reason I believe I felt good was I was used to feeling crappy from eating things that arguably aren't food (e.g. ramen, hot dogs, margarine). Over trained, torn meniscus, torn shoulder,  sinus infections.

Paleo and Forward
Ah, paleo. Where the real journey begins. I was vegetarian for a while into between these two also and my results were feeling good at first, then tired and (unwanted) weight loss. Paleo lifestyle: "Paleo is a simple dietary lifestyle that is based on foods being either in or out. In are the Paleolithic Era foods that we ate prior to agriculture and animal husbandry (meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, tree nuts, vegetables, roots, fruit, berries, mushrooms, etc.). Out are Neolithic Era foods that result from agriculture or animal husbandry (grains, dairy, beans/legumes, potatoes, sugar and fake foods)."1 I am currently on a modified version of this.

That's the overview. Along the way of attempting to basically level up in life non nutrition related I got a black belt in Shotokan Karate, 8th degree orange belt in Taekwondo, and became what I'd call advanced beginner at yoga, tai chi, and meditation.


1 - http://www.paleodiet.com/definition.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment