MCT/Coconut Oil and Why it Can Make You Better

Can honestly say without feeling like I am over exaggerating that good quality MCT oil is quite possibly not just the healthiest oil but one of the healthiest foods on this planet. MCT oil is generally concentrated coconut oil, it can also be made from palm oil (seems good) and canola oil (avoid canola for many reasons). MCT stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides also known as fatty acids. The majority of foods are either short or long chain.

Although you can find what seems like endless anecdotal evidence of benefits, especially on coconut oil, the scientific studies are spotty at best. I will list many of the possible and individual benefits then go over my own personal benefits:

  • Weight loss
  • Muslce/mass gain
  • Belly fat "spare tire" reduced
  • Increased energy
  • Improved mood
  • Improved brain function
  • Alzheimer's prevention/cure
  • Cancer prevention/cure
  • Skin care
  • Scar treatment
  • Assisting in putting the body in ketosis (explain more on ketones late)
  • Bone and dental health
  • Diabetes prevention/cure
  • Improving allergies
  • Improving immune system
  • Pneumonia cure
  • Improved cholesterol levels
I know, right? That's a lot.

My personal results:
  • Improved skin
  • Bone and dental health
  • Improving allergies
  • Improving immune system
  • Improved mood/energy
  • Belly fat reduced
  • Muscle/mass gain
  • Improved brain function
  • Quicker entry into ketosis
Those are the benefits I was able to quantify using things like a journal, brain exercises, physical exercises, fasting, and a Elimination diet to add validity to it being the coconut and MCT oil rather than something else I was ingesting. Also though it's flu season I have not been sick in about half a year although I work in public areas and travel semi frequently.

Dosage I was using is 2-4 tbsp daily. Using two with coffee then with dinner. Only side effect I've heard of from upping the dosage specifically on an empty stomach is GI issues such as diarrhea. I never had this issue, but I wasn't trying to cure cancer or Alzheimers. 

There's lots of ways to get MCTs. I'd recommend staying away from the cheap processed stuff and get either organic extra virgin coconut oil or good quality MCT oils derived coconut and (but not only) palm oil if you can afford it to get all the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment